Having a pool is a great way to improve the resale value of a residential building. In commercial establishments like hotels, as well, pools are a simple and effective way to appeal to clients. In buildings that have pools, safety requirements should be given top priority to ensure that accidents can be prevented at all costs. The law has some stringent regulations in this regard and failing to follow these can lead to some drastic repercussions. The rigorous stance on pool safety in Queensland comes as no surprise given that about a quarter of deaths among young children here occur from drowning. Also, about half of the fatalities among children in the under- 5 age group happen in residential pools. It is the responsibility of every pool owner to take every possible measure to prevent untoward events like these.
Apart from fencing regulations, the law requires that CPR signs be placed near the pool by the pool owner. The pool safety regulations with respect to this are as follows:
- The CPR sign needs to be affixed to the pool’s safety barrier or displayed close by so that people using the pool can clearly and easily see it
- The sign must be weatherproof so that wind, rain or sunshine do not erase the lettering or break down the sign
- The sign board must, at minimum, be square with a minimum of 300 millimetres long sides.
- It must clearly list out the steps to be taken in case a pool accident occurs- for example, how to provide first aid, whom to call etc.
For pools that are under construction, pool safety warning signs need to be placed on the road frontage, within a distance of 1.5 metres. Also, the following criteria must be met:
- It must clearly state that a swimming pool is under construction on the land
- Mention must be made of the danger posed to children who may wander onto the land
- The sign must be highly visible from the road, positioned a minimum of 300 millimetres above ground and have clear, easy to read lettering that is at least 50 millimetres high
- The warning sign must be weather proof so that there is no possibility of it being erased or broken down by winds or rains or sun